Sunday, January 16, 2011

What is winter?

I was driving the other day on a ring road highway not far from my house. I had been thinking about Libya a lot. What I liked or didn't and why. It suddenly struck me glancing at the side of road, at the snow, the sleeping nature, this was something I hadn't particularly liked in Libya. Understand even in Tripoli you feel the desert. The background color of life is a tan brown, a color of dead vegetation. As much as the white of the snow at the roadside in Kansas City. I am waiting for the green to return, the background color of life here most of the year. I do delight in the white of new snow tracing the outlines of the world. I can live with the muddy brown of rich soil waiting for sprouts to cover it. I have yet to come to terms with the dry hot tan of the desert. It challenges my imagination to find the potential in it, to see the life that will come with the rain that falls after I've left to go home. I want to love Libya. I feel I must as DH's heart will always be connected to his family there & I am too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment