Sunday, January 16, 2011

Trying something new at home.

Bismillah arRHman arRHeem.

Alhamdullilah, Last night was the first shift for my new kitchen helpers. I've decided to finally employ my kids as help, insha Allah. I will be supervising them while they will work one week shifts, doing what ever I need done to get meals on the table & clean up afterwords.

I assigned DS#1 & DS#3 to work together since DS#3 is 6 & can use his oldest brother to help him reach & carry. Setting the table got done without much difficulty. DS#1 even won point with DH by remembering to have his water ready on the table. We ate garlic shrimp, rice pilaf with toasted almond & raisins, chicken mustgo, & salad. After the meal & with frequent reminders of what still needed to be done, the boys managed to clear the table, rinse the dishes, fill the dishwasher, wash the table, wipe off the stove, & sweep the floor. I hadn't realized how hard it would be for me to let them do the work. DS#3 had never really swept the floor before & ended up with lots of 'help' from me. I had intended for him to clean the table & his brother to sweep but DS#1 beat his little brother to the easy jobs. Later, I rewarded them with chocolate as a surprise. Insha Allah the incentive will inspire DS#2 & DD next week to work more than war in hopes of a similar reward.

3 comments:

  1. that is awesome!! Keep it up! at this point, my kids want to help but end up breaking glasses or making huger messes, so i'll just wait til maybe a year or 2 when they are more reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esalaamu aleikoum,

    Dzjk Allah kheirn for reading and commenting on my blog!
    Machallah wife of an Libyan. I am very interesed to know more! enchallah following you now sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asalom Alai Kom,
    Sis, I just found ur blog after seeing u in a side bar, (married to libyans) of "Khadijah Teris" blog, so I said I wud have a looksie lol. I am 2 married 2 a Libyan. I moved here, libya from Ireland Almost 18 months ago. But rarely get a chance 2 blog publicly, cos internet is so crap /expensive here lol. Well enough of the intro.
    My sister in laws here say boys do not do housework. Hah more evidence, thanks sis.
    I am following u now:)
    KHEDEGAH

    ReplyDelete